Friday Pix: Recommended Reading For The Weekend

Every Friday I point you towards some recommended reading around the blogosphere: 1. Nothing quite screams generation gap when it comes to Osama Bin...

1. Nothing quite screams generation gap when it comes to Osama Bin Laden’s death as much as  this little screen shot over on Boing Boing.

2. I think we all know where I stand on the amazingly talented, barefooted piano-playing comedian Tim Minchin. Here’s his latest endeavor:  an animated movie of his 9-minute beat poem, Storm. LOVE him.

3. Looking for a great book to read or to give as a gift? The Guardian asked a bunch of British authors which books they most enjoyed getting/giving as a gift. Some really great ideas in here.

4. Here’s a clever idea for a blog: one man’s journey to tour Europe guided only by a 1963 copy of Arthur Frommer’s Europe on Five Dollars a Day. I give you Europe on Five Bad Ideas A Day.

5. Before you do anything else, please, please just have a look at Mapping Stereotypes. It made my day. (Hat tip: Very Short List)

6. And to end on a sad – but deeply moving – note, here’s Derek  Miller of Penmachine.com’s last blog post, written shortly before he died of cancer, and published upon his death. Amazing. (Hat Tip: Ben Casnocha)

1. BigLittleWolf May 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

Wow on the Boing Boing reference to those who asked “Who is Osama Bin Laden?” – Even if they are teenagers. My sons are teens, and they are certainly aware. Then again, best I recall they were watching television in elementary school, when the attacks occurred.

What aren’t we talking about in our schools if so many kids were unaware?

2. Naomi May 6, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Loved the Minchin animated poem. Can’t wait to share with my family. And moved to tears by that “Last Post” by Derek Miller.

• delialloyd May 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

@naomi-I got that link from Dan!! Yes the Miller thing killed me. @biglittlewolf-aren’t they!??! I know when my kids were younger and it was closer to the actual event, people tried to keep 9/11 hush hush. But I too was surprised that teens wouldn’t know about it. Then again, my kids haven’t attended *real* school in the states.

• Naomi May 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

Hilarious that you got the link from Dan! When he came home from work Friday, I was showing it to the kids, and he said, “Oh yeah, I posted that to facebook a couple of weeks ago.” How had I missed it? Funny — and a bit pathetic, really — how the Internet and a friend thousands of miles away help the two of us stay connected to each other! :-)

3. Rose May 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

Glad to see the Friday links have returned!

I’m going to hope the Bin Laden searches weren’t from DC or NY. I think he’s pretty well engraved on anybodies mind who was alive at the time.

4. Delia Lloyd May 10, 2011 at 10:50 am #

@naomi-yes I always chuckle when couples mediate their relationship via FB or Twitter or a blog. I just had two (married) friends disagree about the appropriateness of a certain film for kids on my FB wall. Very funny, all this cyber stuff…