Every Friday I point you towards some recommended reading around the blogosphere:
1. If you want to be utterly engaged, enlightened and uplifted, listen to British philosopher Alain de Botton talking about why pessimism is and should be such an important part of our lives. Amazing.
2. Also inspiring is Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg’s commencement address at Barnard about women in the workforce.
3. Check out the OECD’s Better Life Index. Very cool indeed.
4. A friend and colleague has started a great blog called Dart Throwing Chimp, where he analyzes regime change, protest and violent conflict. Here’s a thoughtful post on why the alleged “rollback” of democracy world wide is over-stated.
5. Love this piece in The Washington Post about why women really don’t want to see photos of men’s genitalia, but might like to see a few other things.
6. Finally, this just rocks. It’s how the city of Grand Rapids, MI. responded when Newsweek named it one of America’s “Dying Cities.” Lovely.
Have a great weekend!