Every Friday I point you towards some recommended reading around the blogosphere:
1. We begin this week with J.K. Rowling’s wonderful commencement speech at Harvard University about the fringe benefits of failure. (Hat tip: Quiet: The Power of Introverts)
2. This meditation on the tragedy in Norway by one of its most famous authors absolutely slayed me.
3. Russell Brand’s tribute to Amy Winehouse was also deeply moving and keenly observed.
4. Over on Buzz Feed, check out 60 Awesome Portraits of Gay Couples Just Married in New York State. As my friend Sharon Hyman put it, if no. 12 doesn’t make you support gay marriage, you might just fail the sociopath test.
5. I loved Jessica Roake’s deconstruction of Thomas The Tank Engine as a thinly-veiled pro-imperialist treatise over on Slate.
6. Mike T. has a lovely analysis of the quintessential American-ness of the Chautauqua Institution on his blog, A Boat Against The Current.
7. Check out Lil Chase’s Top 10 Unwords at The Guardian. Snozzberry, anyone?
Have a great weekend!