Every Friday I point you towards some recommended reading for the weekend:
1. It’s somehow comforting to know that the animals in the Washington Zoo were the first to sense this week’s earthquake. (And IMHO, the sooner we all start “belch vocalizing,” the better.)
2. Over at the Nieman story board, Ben Yagoda and Dan DeLorenzo provide a handy guide for ranking memoirs.
3. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to be a man at an all-female conference, read Wolf Pascoe’s hilarious account of his recent visit to BlogHer11.
4. Love the form Robert Fay’s mid-life crisis takes at The Millions.
5. The Hairpin has some great tips for how to sign-off on email and what different salutations mean.*
6. School’s starting soon, so if you’re looking for a change of routine to kick-start your morning, David K. Israel identifies seven ways we woke up before the alarm clock at Mental Floss. (Hat tip: The Boston Globe’s Brainiac blog)
7. Finally, in the Department of “Way Cool,” have a look at posters made from TVs, video games and computers as featured on Colossal.
Have a great weekend!
Oh yes and Pip, pip cheerio!*