On occasional Fridays, I point you towards some recommended reading around the blogosphere:
1. Love my She The People colleague Melinda Henneberger’s take on why Americans love Downton Abbey.
2. And speaking of our abiding Anglophilia, be sure to take The Guardian’s quiz on Pride and Prejudice in honor of the novel’s 200th anniversary. For someone who has seen the film about 6,000 times and read the book at least twice, I was quite disappointed with my score!
3. I thought Latoya Peterson’s take on Washington, DC in the New York Times Townies column was spot on.
4. Thinking of moving to Britain? Not so fast. Following a rumor that certain government ministers were planning a campaign to limit the number of immigrants, readers of the Guardian came up with mock posters to discourage wanna-be Brits from moving to Blighty. Hilarious!
5. Frank Santo’s account in The Daily News of sexting with a older, married woman is both funny and moving.
7. Finally, if you’re looking for inspiration, check out this “landfill harmonic” orchestra composed of instruments made entirely from…garbage. (Hat tip: Strangling My Muse)
Enjoy your weekend!