On occasional Fridays, I point you towards some recommended reading around the blogosphere:
1. Amid all the controversy over Sheryl Sandberg’s new feminist manifesto for the workplace, Lean In, here are two must-read responses: Erin Callan’s “Is there life after work?” and Mary Louise Kelly’s on what happens when you get that fateful phone call…and you’re in Baghdad.
2. Absolutely loved this essay by Jeremy Shatan in the New York Times about what it’s like to live after your child dies, aptly titled “A High-Functioning Bereaved Parent.”
3. One of my favorite new (to me) blogs is The Monkey Cage, a blog about politics that does that rare thing: creates a space where journalists, wonks and political scientists can meet. Here’s a great post on the relationship between gender equality and growth.
4. As usual, Joan Wickersham nails it in a post on grammar and why it matters. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.
5. Downton Abbey fans will love the Downton Abbey Facebook recap on Happy Place.
6. You don’t need to be a Billy Joel fan to appreciate this video. (But yes, I’ll own up to it!)
7. Finally, something that’s guaranteed to make you smile: the Pony Dance Party over on Strangling My Muse. Love it!
Have a great weekend everybody!